Unusable in VB.NET?

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I am observing some odd behavior from the Touchless SDK in VB.NET (2008 Express).  After creating a new Windows Application and adding a reference to TouchlessLib.dll, VB recognizes the Touchless library (will perform autocompletes, etc).  However, when I add the following code to the Form, things don't work:

Public Class Form1
    Private mgr As TouchlessLib.TouchlessMgr

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        mgr = New TouchlessLib.TouchlessMgr()
    End Sub
End Class

If I set a breakpoint on the mgr = line, the breakpoint is never hit even though the Form seems to load and behave just fine (it's as if the Form1_Load routine is never executed).  If I comment out the mgr = line, a breakpoint on End Sub is hit when the Form loads (correct behavior).  Is Touchless just not usable from VB.NET perhaps?  That would be unfortunate.

Thanks,

Ben

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Here's the (partial) solution for anyone else who encounters this problem:  For mysterious reasons, VB.NET decides to skip code in lieu of throwing an exception when certain exceptions are generated while a Form is loading.  Moving the mgr = line to a Click event on a button revealed an error where the WebCamLib.dll was incompatible with the VB.NET project, presumably because I'm using a 64-bit machine.  I'm still working on how to solve that problem.