Source Code compilitation - NUNit assembly ref missing?

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Hi all,
First of all, I apologise in advance for what is probably a really basic question. I'm quite new to Visual Studio, so still getting to grips with things.

I'm trying to build the Touchless source code in Visual Studio 2008, but I keep getting a load of errors about missing assemblies/references, one of which is NUnit. All of the errors seem to be to do with the test classes.
Basically what I'm wanting to do is look into how to extract the current X and Y co-ordinates of a marker for use in an XNA game, so I'm trying to learn how to incorporate touchless into a simple prototype game.

There was a mention somewhere on this site about a tutorial video that takes new developers through the process of compiling the source code and making a simple game - I can't seem to find that video though. Does anyone have a link to it? I think it would probably answer all of my questions and get me started on the right road.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Oct 31, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I have the same problem, and when I try to use the binaries dll's MS-Visual studio C# is telling me the WebCamLib  is not a valid library.. ;-(

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Jonathan:
    You're right, NUnit is for testing... Remove the TouchlessUnitTests project if you don't want to deal with building the tests.
    But, if you're just looking to use Touchless SDK and not modify it, look at the section "How to add Touchless to your project" from Touchless.rtf:

To add Touchless to an existing Visual Studio project, simply right click “References” and select “Add Reference…” go to the browse tab, and select "TouchlessLib.dll". Ensure that both "TouchlessLib.dll" and "WebcamLib.dll" are copied to the same output directory to be used with your builds.

Take a look at the WalkthroughSample in our source code repository; this will show you how to subscribe to OnChnge for your markers and process the MarkerEventData.
    I'll try to get the WalkthroughSample video online this weekend. It shows how WalkthroughSample was made.
    You might find people interested in collaborating on your game if you post a new discussion topic advertising your project.

Zaleo:
    For now, WebCamLib is unmanaged and you don't add it to your project's references. Read the snippet above on "How to add Touchless to your project".

I hope this helps and I can't wait to see what you guys build with Touchless!
- Mike

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Hey guys!
Watch a video showing how we made the Walkthrough Sample in only 15 minutes!
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=e84b0f3e-a701-49f6-b831-c0537a4ced37
- Mike
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:25 AM
Mike! You're an absolute legend, that video is exactly what I needed to get started, brilliant!
I plan on using Touchless as one of the main inputs in my final year university computing science project. My project title is "A computer game with a non-traditional form of user input". I plan on making a Galaga type spaceship arcade shooter game in XNA, using a laser pen  + touchless to move the ship about, and using voice commands to navigate menus.
I'll keep you updated on how it goes!
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:53 AM
Jonathan,
Glad to help. That sounds like an awesome game project; I and other wise fans of Touchless look forward to playing it!
- Mike
Nov 12, 2008 at 1:53 AM
Hi Mike,
Just an update - I'm well on the road to success now. That video helped loads.
Here's a video of my first basic video input prototype in action: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsynnott/3023857406/
Jul 31, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Hi Mike

Why i cannot view the walkthrough sample video above? When i clicked the link it state "

Web page you are attempting to view may not exist or may have moved".

Besides that video where i can get started in touchless? I'm just a new guy.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I know I am replying to a very old thread here, but want to clarify a point which may help others: michwass mentioned "For now, WebCamLib is unmanaged" - this is not strictly true.  WebCamLib is a C++/CLI project, meaning that it is a C++ project that uses the .NET framework.  It contains three classes, two of them managed, and an unmanaged class called SampleGrabberCB which derives from a DirectShow interface class.

Todd