using touchless to control motors on a robot

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM

hi, I'm developing a C# .NET code that achieves touchless control over a robot. I plan to use the touchless sdk. My goal is to use object tracking for the motor movements, for example if I move marker 1, the right motor moves forward, and if I move marker 2, the left motor moves forward. Can anyone please give me the basic steps for constructing such a code. tips and tricks, anything at all. Or hints of a similar project to this one. thanks

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 AM

The touchless SDK can defiantly do this. I used it to emulate a ps3 controller's joysticks.  You need to be more clear about what you’re asking. how much code and microcontroller experience do you have? what type of tips do you want?  Also more details about the project can help.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM

thank you very much for your early reply. The project involves touch-less control of a .net micro-framework robot. All aspects of programming the micro controller has already been done. I'm still a beginner in C#, but I believe I can get by. My first task is to write a C# code that extracts values from the touchless sdk, i.e. when a marker is being tracked, a value is then assigned. The values can be from 0 - 255. Any value that is extracted is then assigned to the motor movements. I've chosen to follow the sequence: values 0-127 produce a backward movement of the motor, value 128 gives a neutral movement, then 129-255 produce a forward movement of the motor. 

I've been given a string to extract the values from the marker movements then assign the values for the motor movements.

the string is:

<begin> value, value, value, value ......<end>

so for example, I move marker one upwards, it gives the value say 158, then 158 is assigned for left motor to move forward.

Any idea how to construct this code??

Jesse.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM

can someone help me out with this project please. I'm still not sure how to achieve my task

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Hi Nextmanche,

I would love to help, however your last reply didn't give me enough information to do so.  I am still unclear as to your question and how much you know about touchlessSDK.

Have you seen the tutorial video found here: http://www.vimeo.com/7100308

What do you mean by this:

"aspects of programming the micro controller has already been done."

Did you do this? therefore can you modify the micro controller programming etc? Also what is the purpose of the project? Just something you're doing for fun as a hobby or does it have a specfic application? (know this can help me help you).

I am also confused what you mean by this:

"I've been given a string to extract the values from the marker movements then assign the values for the motor movements.

the string is:

<begin> value, value, value, value ......<end>"

I believe there are other forum member who want to help as well, but are having difficulty understanding your needs as I am.

Thanks!